Friday, April 24, 2009

The beginning of the Lascer.




These would be the concept sketches for the Lascer. The one that shows just the head is actually the very first drawing that Jason and I approved of. The very first attempt at this design ended up looking way too much like one of the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal. I realized that I needed to keep the muzzle t-rex-like to retain the aggressive look I was going for. I eventually ended up with this head that I really liked. Jason took notice and added his suggestions and I eventually ended up with the rest of the drawings.

At this point I already knew exactly what the body was going to look like. I wanted a creature that walked on its knuckles so I started researching gorilla anatomy. I wanted the creature to have the ability to stand and push off with its hindquarters so I researched velociraptor and t-rex anatomy. It definitely had to have a tail and since this guy was going to need all the natural weapons he could get, I decided to add a spear-like bone protrusion to the end of the tail. The armor plates on the head and neck were improvisation. I always liked creatures that had aesthetically pleasing rhythm in their designs so the swept back armor plating helped achieve that feel. I think it was Jason that suggested that the eyes remain pupil-less. If anything, it gives the creature a creepy, but cool look and I can play with eyeshapes to express emotion.

I have a lot of his movements mapped out in my head and I've started thumbnailing some of them already. I'm currently working on the walk and run cycles so I'll post those once I have them refined. I even have a cool idea involving the lascer taking a few steps and diving from a standing position onto his forearms and taking off into a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment